Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 5: A book that makes you happy

"It's so hard to talk when you want to kill yourself."

Yes, that is the first line of the book. And no, I'm not suicidal - that's not why a book that starts like that makes me happy. It's such a matter-of-fact, quirky way of telling a story that could be really sad and hopeless, but ends up being really humorous and actually uplifting.  It's called It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini, and they made it into a movie recently (but what aren't they doing that to these days?)

Craig, the main character, is odd. He has strange ways of organizing his thoughts, and he lets the reader in so immediately that it kind of takes you off guard for a little while. But then you realize that his openness isn't related to ingenuity - it's just his character. And then you love him with all your heart.

It's my first day back at college after Christmas and I'm not thinking as fluently as I want to be to do the book justice - too much else going on.  But I wanted to stick to my days, and I wanted you to know that you should read this book. You'll find it in the Young Adult Fiction section (my apologies). But it's not about vampires.

It's Kind of a Funny Story - Google Books

No comments: